You are here
PTM - Polish Materials Science Society
POLISH MATERIALS SCIENCE SOCIETY
Genesis of the Society and its activity in 1995-2006
On 6-8 September 1995, on the initiative of Professor Leopold Jeziorski, Dean of the Faculty of Metallurgy and Materials Science Częstochowa University of Technology, Professor Adolf Maciejny, Head of Materials Science Department Silesian University of Technology, and Professor Jerzy W. Wyrzykowski, Dean of the Faculty of Materials Science Warsaw University of Technology, a seminar titled "The criteria and conditions of formation of research topics for Materials Science education" was held. During the meeting participants supported the idea of the establishment of the Polish Materials Science Society (PTM), with its headquarters in Katowice, as an organization integrating Polish materials scientists operating in all departments of science and economy. A 4-person team for the registration of the Society and preparation of the General Meeting of Members-Founders was selected. On the 9th October 1995, the Katowice Regional Court I Civil Department registered Polish Materials Science Society, based in Katowice, at Krasinskiego 8 Street. Its KRS number was 00000 8348. The first General Meeting of Members-Founders, dedicated to the election of authorities, was held on 7th December 1995 in Katowice at the Faculty of Materials Science, Metallurgy and Transport Silesian University of Technology. It was attended by 62 founding members of PTM representing almost all the national centers of research and education in the field of Materials Science and Materials Engineering and related Material disciplines.
According to the approved status and proposals of the founding members, PTM identified as its main objective the integration and coordination of activities of the national materials centers in terms of the exchange of experience and scientific, educational and technical information, meetings and scientific events, and popularization of achievements. Particular attention was paid to the strengthen in the social awareness the importance of modern materials knowledge for the development of key areas of technology and economy. An important area of the PTM activity is the cooperation with domestic and foreign institutions and scientific societies and participation in national and international scientific movement. PTM status provides the possibility of appointing the regional branches.
VIII Term of office of the Main Boards of PTM 28.11.2014 to 28.02.2016
- President: Prof. Piotr Kula
- Vice-Presidents: Maria Sozańska, BEng, PhD, DSc and Prof. Edward Guzik
- Treasurer: Grzegorz Moskal, BEng, PhD, DSc
- General Secretary: Prof. Dariusz Kata
- Board Members: Jolanta Baranowska, BEng, PhD, DSc, Krzysztof Kubiak, BEng, PhD, DSc, Tomasz Czujko, BEng, PhD, DSc, Jacek Chrapoński, BEng, PhD, Halina Garbacz, BEng, PhD, DSc, Michał Szota, BEng, PhD, DSc, Prof. Piotr Niedzielski, Marek Szkodo, BEng, PhD, DSc
- Revision Committee: Prof. Marek Faryna, BEng, PhD, DSc Agata Dudek, Prof. Barbara Surowska, Prof. Janusz Grabian, BEng, PhD, DSc Jerzy Szawłowski- Chairman of the Revision Committee
IX term of office: 29.02.2016- 17.03.2019
Because of the changes in the PTM status a new election was made. Tomasz Babul, BEng, PhD, DSc, replaced Krzysztof Kubiak, BEng, PhD, DSc. Other board members stayed the same.
X term of office: 18.03.2019- present
- President: Prof. Dariusz Kata
- Vice-Presidents: Prof. Tomasz Czujko and BEng, PhD, DSc, Assoc. Prof. Halina Garbacz
- Treasurer: BEng, PhD, DSc, Assoc. Prof. Grzegorz Moskal
- General Secretary: Prof. Marek Faryna
- Board Members: Prof. Jolanta Baranowska, BEng, PhD, DSc, Assoc. Prof. Marek Szkodo, Prof. Maria Sozańska, BEng, PhD, DSc, Assoc. Prof. Wojciech Maziarz, BEng, PhD, DSc, Assoc. Prof. Anita Olszówka-Myalska, BEng, PhD, DSc, Assoc. Prof. Agnieszka Kopia, BEng, PhD, DSc, Assoc. Prof. Maciej Motyka, BEng, PhD, DSc, Assoc. Prof. Piotr Bała
- Revision Committee: BEng, PhD, DSc, Assoc. Prof. Agata Dudek, Prof. Janusz Grabian, BEng, PhD, DSc, Assoc. Prof. Stanisław Jóźwiak, Prof. Jerzy Lis- Chairman of the Revision Committee
The number of PTM's members has increased steadily ever since since its foundation in 1995 (62 members) to over 350 members in 2019.
Implementation of statutory objectives
PTM status determines the purposes and means of the Society in general, descriptive way. During the first 10 years of PTM following lines of action diverged:
- promotional activity towards the study of Materials Science, as well as the scientific, technological and engineering achievements of Polish scientific centers;
- closer cooperation with industry, in particular small and medium-sized firms;
- further strengthen cooperation with science and teaching national centers;
- attention to the high level of knowledge of Materials Science conferences organized in Poland;
- strengthening the position of journals in the field of Materials Engineering and Materials Science;
- close cooperation with FEMS;
- intensifying the integration links with European science and economy, which involves the fusion of the efforts of universities, research organizations and scientific societies, including the PTM and the scientific committees of Polish Academy of Sciences.
Types of activities in the implementation of the status objectives
I. Organization of "Research and training programs in Materials Science" seminars.
II. Organization or patronage of scientific conferences and research trainings in the field of Materials Science.
III. Journals: "Materials Science"- participation in the editing from 3rd volume (1996), "Advances in Materials Science"- journal was an initiative of the Pomeranian Section, "Materials and Technologies"- journal under the patronage of the Pomeranian Section; cooperation with the editorial boards of "Archives of Materials Science" and "FEMS News".
IV. Membership in FEMS ((The Federation of European Materials Societies) since 21.07.1998.
V. Prizes for the best doctoral dissertation in the field of Materials Science since 2000.